Type of institution: Public University
Number of students: 7000
Number of international students: 770
Phone: +372 640 9234
Website: Tallinn University
Address: Narva mnt 25, Tallinn 10120, Estonia
About Tallinn University
Tallinn University (TLU) is a modern and dynamic research university in Estonia with a leading role in promoting an intelligent lifestyle through education, research, and a unique collaboration across disciplines.
We are Tallinn’s leading university of humanities and social sciences and offer uniquely interdisciplinary study and research opportunities. Just as Estonia, a country with 1.3 million people, has been recognised for its innovations in education, e-governance and entrepreneurship, our university approaches the challenges of the modern world from an unconventional angle.
Today, both QS World University and Times Higher Education rankings place Tallinn University among the top 5% of the best universities in the world. In addition, TLU is included in three subject rankings (Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences and in Education), which cover all our five interdisciplinary focus areas.
- Top 5% best universities in the world!
- 7000 students - not too big, not too small, just right!
- 38 world-class English-based degree programmes.
Crossing traditional boundaries between academic disciplines
We are one of the most interdisciplinary universities in Estonia. Interdisciplinary research across structural boundaries gives us a chance to offer some of the most unique and innovative English-based degree programmes in Estonia and in Europe.
As part of an intelligent lifestyle, students gain expertise in multiple fields through project-based learning. In our Social Entrepreneurship programme, for example, students build profitable business models that also benefit society during pitching competitions.
Every student at TLU passes the course called LIFE (Learning in Interdisciplinary Focused Environment), which is a study course focused on project- and problem-based learning, where students from different study areas collaborate with academics and partners from outside university to carry out projects with interdisciplinary problems.
Inspiring location & modern facilities
We live and learn in the centre of one of the world's most beautiful cities - our central campus is located in the heart of Estonia’s capital Tallinn. We live and learn just a short walk from Tallinn’s medieval Old Town and a baroque palace, though we share the city with some of Europe’s fastest-growing companies.
The university’s 21st century facilities include a modern study centre, well equipped classrooms, computer classes, laboratories and leisure areas throughout the campus. TLU incorporates 105 seat 4K “SuperNova” cinema hall, modern production centre equipped with state-of art facilities and professional video, audio and post-production technology.
Tallinn University is a green university
University has joined the Green Academic Footprint initiative of the Network of Universities from the Capitals of Europe (UNICA) in order to participate in the process of making the principles of sustainable development part of everyday life. We encourage our students, faculty, and staff to use sustainability solutions throughout the university.
Furthermore, Estonia's first Vice-Rector for Sustainable Development was appointed in 2020 at Tallinn University!
Tallinn Summer School
Tallinn Summer School, organised since 2006, is a 3-week programme running in July, combining a wide range of courses with a rich, diverse cultural programme and attracting participants from all over the world. In addition to a variety of social events, participants visit museums, historical sights, places of cultural importance, and see some of the nature of Estonia on weekend trips to different locations within the country. Tallinn Summer School manages to maintain a scholarly approach alongside a relaxed atmosphere, studying at the same time as exploring the culture of Estonia.
Similar programme, however with fewer courses is also offered in January in Tallinn Winter School.
Quick facts about TLU:
- Type of institution: Public University
- Baltic Film, Media, Arts and Communication School - The heart of creativity at Tallinn University, a place to find your original voice and enhance your practical skills.
- School of Digital Technologies - The only institution in Estonia that focuses on ‘soft’ information and communication technologies.
- School of Educational Sciences - We develop the educational leaders of tomorrow in symbiosis with schools and the university.
- School of Governance, Law and Society - Unique is the promotion of entrepreneurship and the innovation in the social and public sector.
- School of Humanities - By uniting humanities with digital technologies and other seemingly far disciplines, we keep it classical, yet innovative.
- School of Natural Sciences and Health - An advocate for healthy and sustainable way of thinking, and environmentally friendly behaviour.
- Number of students: 7000
- Proportion of international students: 11%