Studying in Estonia: Frequently Asked Questions

Every day, we receive many emails and social media messages from you, and we are doing our best to address your concerns. We understand that it might be hard to navigate the university admission process in an unfamiliar country, but we've got you covered! In this blog piece, we answer the most frequently asked questions and provide additional recommendations for further inquiries. 

Browsing Study in Estonia site on mobile


Do you provide consultancy services for international applicants?

No. Study in Estonia is a cooperation platform for higher education institutions that works on increasing Estonia's visibility as a study destination and promotes study opportunities for international students. We are based in Tallinn and Tartu, Estonia. While we do not provide consultancy services for foreign applicants and do not process student applications, we are here to help you with some general guidelines on studying and living in Estonia. Browse through our website and find easy answers to your questions. We've done most of the homework for you! wink


How can I apply?

Don't know where to start? Nothing to worry about: this will be one of the easiest university applications you've ever submitted! First of all, identify the study programmes you are interested in the most. Then, familiarize yourself with our online admission platform, DreamApply Estonia (tip: you can also use the platform for browsing and filtering study programmes, as well as checking specific admission requirements listed by the universities).

If you have any questions, feel free to send us an email or contact the university's admission office directly. Once you are ready for some paperwork, prepare the required admission documents. Finally, submit your online application via DreamApply. It's as easy as that! For more details, please check our online resources and read a blog piece written by Nkajima, our Student Ambassador from Nigeria, where she shares some practical tips for getting your application ready. 


Photo: Tanel Murd


How can I apply for a visa if there's no Estonian Embassy in my country?

EU citizens should obtain a temporary residence permit in Estonia. The temporary residence permit for study is usually issued with a period of validity until the end of the nominal study period. 

All non-EU students need a temporary residence permit for studying. Please note that Estonia doesn't issue a "study visa", all non-EU students should apply for a temporary residence permit (TRP)  for studying at the Estonian embassy in their home country. If you’re a Master’s or a PhD student, you can also enter the country with a visa and apply for a temporary residence permit in Estonia. The visa and residence permit application process will usually begin after the student has been accepted to study on the chosen programme, and after university has forwarded required acceptance documents to the accepted student.

What documents are required for the application? Please check the requirements listed by the local Estonian Embassy (links below) or the Estonian Police and Border Guard Board

Non-EU students have to apply for a temporary residence permit for study at the nearest Estonian Embassy or Consulate in their home country or country of residence. If there's no Estonian Embassy in your home country, you will have to travel to the one closest to you. Here's the full list of Estonian representations that are handling visa applications, according to the Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

Photo: ConvertKit via Unsplash


Are there any scholarships?

Yes, but it depends on the programme and the level of studies. Some of the programmes indeed offer tuition fee waivers or scholarship schemes for the most successful applicants. Universities have the most up-to-date information about scholarships offered for their programmes, so the easiest strategy would be to make a list of courses you are interested in and check what options are available to you. Feel free to visit the Scholarships sections of our website and the additional list of funding schemes at the Education and Youth Board page. 


Can I study and work at the same time?

Yes. International students in Estonia do not need an additional working permit to work while studying full time and they are allowed to work on the condition that it does not interfere with their studies. Students have to receive passing grades for a full load of courses and finish studies within the nominal time. According to our statistics, the share of international students who work besides studying has increased significantly in the last three years, with about 50% of them staying employed in Estonia after graduation. 

"The most likely to work besides studying are international students in information and communication technologies; engineering, manufacturing and construction; and business, administration and law . Graduates in the same fields also stay working in Estonia more frequently compared to others. A contributing factor could be that there are many enterprises offering an international work setting for graduates of these fields", the report states. 

You can find thorough information on working in Estonia from the Work in Estonia website, as well as from the Working section of our website. 


Photo: Rasmus Jurkatam


How can I get in touch with you?

Got some specific questions? Here are the options:

  • submit your request through our contact form
  • send us an email to
  • get in touch with the Study in Estonia Student Ambassadors via
  • for university/programme specific questions, please contact the university's admission office directly
  • for visa/TRP related issues, please send an email to the nearest Estonian Embassy or the Estonian Police and Border Guard Board via

Continue reading our Frequently Asked Questions section.